I would like to discuss further thoughts on the topic of creativity. The process of exercising dormant creativity within has been assisted by several things in me. I am finding that the process of learning that brings change in and around me is a deliberate one. These are not times for continuing the same old life patterns but searching and adjusting my life.
Changes in me that are helping creativity to be developed:
1. Being thankful for small things – I wrote in my blog on May 7th about my thankful journal. “I am challenged over the number of blessings that fall around me that I miss. That sunset laid out in the sky for me, the bird outside my window singing for me, the smile from a friend made for me, the warmth of my socks, the crunch of gravel on the path, the embrace of a daughter, the lift in a piece of music, the droplet of rain hanging off a leaf, the smell of bacon in a pan. These are all an extravagant love gift from my Father that were given me fresh this morning” .By consciously thanking God for small blessings of beauty every day we open ourselves up to an emotional response to our Father. We appreciate his soft touches, are open to his gentle touches and our hearts learn to feel afresh
2. Watching less tv – I have found that an automatic reaction to my heart being tired, upset or bored is to amuse myself with the TV. This takes off the responsibility that I have to deal with my life and the hours ahead. TV is often a bad choice for me because if I am tired I know there are better ways of relaxing, if I am upset I really know I need to deal with it, if it is boredom I know that there are better ways to spend my time and if it is avoidance of things I should be doing I know it will only lead to guilt. TV just doesn’t bring out the best in me.
3. Time resting in God’s presence – I have found that there is such value just being me with God. Not praying, not reading, not singing, not doing anything really just being with Him. He has a way of finding hidden secrets inside and working these through with me and bringing to light depths of riches that he has planted there. It causes me to dream, hope, come alive and wake up.
4. Tuning in with emotions – we cannot become so used to hiding our emotions that we deny who we really are. It hurts to let our emotions go, it may meet ridicule to express who we really are – but being genuine and free is worth the cost
4. Giving my heart space to leak – in order to leak creative God thoughts there first has to be stuff in there to leak. Time and space drinking in God and his truths is vital to be filled. Then let the leaking begin – it may be a poem, a dance, a story or a painting. Your creative spirit will need a medium to leak with expression into. Just as water and air carry vibrations and noise so you need something to carry your heart. We couldn’t hear anything in a vacuum, so our hearts cannot have creative voice in a vacuum of nothingness. Your medium of expression will differ from others – we have a fantastic young man who says his medium of creativity is algebra, another who says it is cooking, another who takes photos and yet another who builds furniture with wood – it is time to experiment with different things.
5. Allowing myself room to make mistakes – perfection and keeping it all together is a characteristic of the old persona. God chose to make humans with weaknesses and faults. We need to embrace these. Let your experiments be developmental, expect to go wrong, to go beyond normal, to push the boundaries and be prepared to make a mess.
6. Being creative just because – I am finding that I need to be creative because I am creative. It isn’t for a finished product, for the affirmation of people, for an end result but just because.
Once a month we have a worship session with the youth where we just leak creativity. I wrote down just a small sample of things they can do. It gives a starting point for someone to think differently. Today give one of them a go!!!!
rapping, dancing, singing, song writing, movement, mime, drama, poetry, story writing, journal writing, cooking, art, drawing, photos, writing a letter, writing a letter to God, graffiti, cartoons, sculpture, pottery, sewing, knitting, collage, nail art, power points, graphic design, posters, videos, hair design, caption strips, journals, …………