Creativity of Egypt and Israel
Egypt was rich, there was plenty of gold and silver. I have never seen the pyramids but in the national museum in London you can see beautiful artefacts from Egypt. They had skilled craftsmen and perhaps woman (I am not up to date with equal gender rights in Egypt). So what is the difference between the creativity of God’s free people as seen in Exodus and the Egyptians?
Egypt in the bible is a picture of the world. All people are made in Gods image wherever they live, whatever they believe – creative and skilful. There is some fantastic art filling the four corners of the earth. If, however, we believe that being full of the Spirit of God adds a new dimension we need to ask the question how? and what does it look like? (cf Exodus 31:2-5)
I am aware that I will be making massive generalisations about art and creativity but please give me that licence to work my thoughts through. Creativity in the world is often measured, assessed, pondered written about, judged and criticized. Many make art for a commission, end product or money. Even at college or University the students are expected to be creative for a finished assessed product to attain a pass. This probably affects the way the artist progresses further on in their life. For many artists the appreciation by others of the finished product is their main motivation.
Could it be that creativity for God is not about the end product but of being. Could it be as an overflow of the mix of our spirit with God’s Spirit? Could creativeness be an expression of freedom with no purpose but just because I am. Is it for our own exploration and for God to enjoy? There is no right or wrong way.
If we are being the creative masterpiece how do we live our life? Predictable, staid, controlled,? If your life is a canvass what colours are you using? Are you constantly learning new skills, developing new thoughts?
- A process not a product
- Treasure inside coming out not made to make treasure
- Made from enjoyment not for enjoyment
- Made for heaven not made for earth
- Has heavens fingerprints mixed with human fingerprints all over it
Creativity in the wilderness reminds me of 2loaves and 5fishesm- the little boy who brought what he had. I mean they had to build a tabernacle with what they had escaped with the land of Egypt with. They didn’t have sophisticated workshops and skilled equipment. They didn’t have furnaces for smelting metals or the right tools. The people used what they had. All their skills and knowledge, and a heart connection with the creator.
What helps creativity?
- Confidence not self-consciousness,
- Acceptance not rejection of ideas
- Flowing of our spirit. God is spirit and we are spirit –we are made to flow together. We can be moving, active, filling spaces, bringing life
- Reaching into heaven and expressing it on earth -seeing new colours, new shapes, hear new sounds, experience new relationships
- Taking away the boundaries and boxes – no longer holding tight or controlling but uncontainable, free, open, powerful,
- Learning new skills
- Making space and time
- Drawing the best out of each other